QUALIFIED MEDICAL ADVICE
Blackbutt Doctors offer a wide range of services and specialties to cater to a variety of health concerns. Whether it’s a simple medical check-up or a more complex problem, our experienced team will support you on your health journey. Learn more about our full service offering below.
The team at Blackbutt Doctors Surgery are available to discuss and advise on any issues relating to improving your health, we believe that prevention is the best approach to maintaining good health for the long term.
Our general practice services include:
- Minor surgical procedures
- Skin cancer checks
- Weight control
- Nutrition advice
- Smoking cessation
We have experienced GPs and nurses to care for women throughout every stage of their life. From helping to manage heavy periods right through to menopause, we have you covered. Our GPs are experienced in the following areas of women’s health:
- Period management
- Family planning
- Pap smears
- Gynaecology services
All of our doctors are experienced in looking after mums to be and the post-natal journey, it’s one of our favourite things! Our doctors offer shared antenatal care with the John Hunter, Maitland and Belmont Hospitals and can also provide referrals for private obstetric care. Our services are supported by Dr Seshu Mandapati who provides private obstetrics and gynaecology services from our rooms each Friday. We also have a range of doctors who are able to offer advice and support for:
- Mental health during pregnancy
- Unplanned pregnancies
- Miscarriage management
The doctors at Blackbutt have extensive experience in paediatrics and can provide comprehensive care for all of your child’s health and medical needs as they grow and develop. This may include:
- Baby checks
- Monitoring of growth and development,
- Management of minor injuries and general medical problems.
We also have a range of toys and a dedicated play area to occupy your child while in the waiting room.
For patients aged 45-49
In line with a Government initiative, we provide preventative health checkups for patients aged between 45 and 49 where there is a risk factor for significant disease. Risk factors may include:
- History of smoking
- Excessive weight
- High cholesterol
- Family history of heart disease
For patients aged 75 and over
The government is encouraging annual health check-ups in those aged 75 and over. We provide this service as part of our routine care for this age group with a focus on:
- Early detection of problems
- Prevention of avoidable health issues.
GP Enhanced Care Plans
For patients with chronic medical conditions, your GP is able to put in place an individual management plan. This plan allows for:
- All members of the health team caring for a patient to be aware of all issues and needs that a patient may have
- Encouraging a consistent, team centred approach to management of chronic conditions
- This team may involve specialists and allied health practitioners, eg. physiotherapists, podiatrists.
Those patients who have a current GP Management plan are then able to receive rebates from Medicare when they see an allied health practitioner.
Many men neglect their own health because of work, social or family pressures. We understand this and we would encourage men to periodically perform a health review. The doctors at Blackbutt are all experienced in the area of men’s health and are available to discuss:
- General health issues
- Prostate screening
- Preventative screening
- Cardiac assessments
- Sexual health issues or concerns.
All doctors at Blackbutt can perform minor surgery. This will mainly involve procedures such as:
- Laceration repair
- Removing suspicious skin lesions
- Draining abscesses
- Excision of cysts
- Insertion of IUDs
- Hormonal implants such as Implanon.
GP Mental Health Plans
For patients with mental health disorders, your GP is able to create an individual management plan to help you navigate your journey and provide easier and more cost-effective access to the care and support you need. This plan allows access to a range of Medicare-rebatable services by registered psychologists and clinical psychologists.
Home visits are available to registered patients of the practice by the discretion of our doctors. If this is something you are interested in, then please call our reception to arrange. Home visits are conducted during normal surgery opening hours.
The GPs at Blackbutt can provide you with advice regarding overseas travel. We stock most of the required travel vaccinations which are provided at a fee. Please discuss your specific requirements with your doctor and be aware that some immunisations require multiple vaccinations over a period of time, you may need to plan these well in advance of your travel.
Blackbutt Doctors has a range of seasonal, regular and specific vaccinations available at the practice:
- Flu Vaccinations – Available every year from March for the winter season ahead. Flu vaccinations are provided free of charge to patients aged 65 and above, and at a cost for other patients.
- Pneumococcal Vaccinations – This vaccine is stocked at our practice and provided free of cost to patients aged 65 and over – these are given twice, five years apart.
- Whooping Cough Vaccinations – We provide this vaccination to mums to be at their routine antenatal appointment from our own stock. Other patients will need to book an appointment with our doctor to get a script for this vaccine, and to have it administered by our nurses.
- Childhood Vaccinations – All government funded childhood vaccines for the standard 2, 4, 6, 12, 18 months and 4 years are stocked at our surgery. Adolescents who have missed their vaccinations at school can receive them at the surgery – this must be organised with our nursing staff.
- Meningococcal B Vaccination – This can be organised with your doctor by script and administered by our nursing staff.
- Travel Vaccinations – We stock most of the required travel vaccinations which are provided at a fee. Please discuss your specific requirements with your doctor.